Thursday, July 17, 2008

ESL (English as a Second Language) Tutors Needed

Somewhere, not far from where you are right now, is someone who needs you to be an ESL tutor.

Any speaker of native American English can do it.

Actually, most speakers of English can do this sort of work, whether they are a native speaker or not.

some of the English speakers with very heavy accents might want to disqualify themselves. If you speak American with an American accent it is good, since many people want to learn from an American.

I started doing this sort of thing just for friendship. The beginnings were rather serendipitous--I kept meeting more and more foreigners with mediocre spoken colloquial english. I could understand them, more or less, and agreed to meet them sometime so they could practice their English.

The exact techniques vary--sometimes i do diagnostic work, sometimes just talk. Sometimes I tape record the conversation and give it to the other person at the end of the hour.

Some people have a very good idea what they want help with, others have vague feelings of dis-satisfaction. They know they have trouble communicating what they want to say. Often they hear and understand others better than others seem to hear and understand them.

6 comments:

charlie said...

I find teaching ESL interesting for a variety of reasons.

it highlights differences between written and spoken language

literal meaning of things versus pragmatics (how does one translate, for example, the phrase "here ya go" that checkout clerks say when they hand you your bag of purchases)

and things such as dictionaries. Why is it easier to buy a dictionary than to use the thing?

My Arab speaking friends have trouble with things like vowel phonemes and phrasal verbs. A Russian friend of mine also mentioned phrasal verbs "What I need is a dictionary of phrasal verbs," he once said. they do exist--English has a ton of phrasal verbs based simply on "Go, Make, Do, and Get.

I'm going to get up
get out of the house
get to my job
get to work
get things done
get to the store
get my groceries
get out of there
get it over with...

Doug The Una said...

Gosh, I didn't even know this was here. One of these days I'm going to get around to taking ESL. Is it matriculate at or to?

charlie said...

Native speakers of english are often puzzled by such issues. Many are puzzled by questions regarding "which preposition goes with a particular verb."

my own approach is to just think about it and decide if it "sounds right" or not.

I have had a few non-native students who obviously just weren't native speakers. Each one somehow just "wrote like a foreigner." I think it was inept use of articles. sometimes I would notice by the second or third line.

in person, I mostly just notice if someone is nice and/or friendly and/or funny--the personality comes out.

in written work, when someone is not in front of me, I notice the quality of writing.

I think my students in question were native speakers of something like Japanese, or in some other cases, Dinka/Swahili or Kinyarwanda/French/Swahili--something like that.

= - = - =

what is matriculation? admission to a degree program?

in the old days, one "was graduated from" a college or university.

now you can "graduate from a college or university," too.

many guardians of the language find the usage "My daughter graduated high school" to be non-standard and somehow declasse.

Steven Pinker thinks we should distrust most "language mavens," as he calls them. it sounds about right to me.

charlie

p.s.:

Russian has no articles. that's why you might hear things from agressive prostitutes like
"I Tanya. I very lonely." I am probably channeling Pinker--or somebody else--on this point.

charlie said...

a polish emigre who blogs for the Guardian made some provocative assertions. many of her assertions are debatable, but she provoked lots of comments, some of which are tres interesant...

= - = - =

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jan/15/englishfordummies

charlie said...

mmm, sorry about that, let me see if i can figure out how to embed a link...

i still don't know. just go to www.guardian.co.uk, then look for

Aleksandra Lojek-Magdziarz

the column is english for dummies...

dated 15 january 2008

Doug The Una said...

Charlie, the coding for text links goes between a greater-than sign and a less-than sign and follows the following pattern:
a href="http://siteurl.domain/"
then, without the greater than/less than signs whatever text you want to link
then the greater-than/less than signs /a

So, if you put the greater than/less than where I'm putting brackets [a href="http://deepsprings85.blogspot.com/"] this blog [/a].

will come out as this blog.